7.14.2014

Family Restoration One Family at a Time: 10 Years is a Good Start on the way to 100

From Guest Blogger Toussaint Roman (Regent Law '06), North Carolina Attorney

So it's been that long.  July 3, 2004 I said "I do" and I have.  Well, we have!  My wife and I have been married for 10 years today and we want at least 100 years more. God has blessed my fabulous wife Tunisia and I with 3 lovely children: Simone Dominique Romain (6 yrs old); Toussaint Crosby Romain, II (4 years old); and Lathan Xavier Romain (17 months old) and Caicos "the Dog" Romain (just old).  (See picture of fam).  They are a great band and have transformed the meaning of what family means to me.  We are so grateful.  I have had a phenomenal time being a husband and a father.  Best jobs in the world. 

In addition, my vocation and calling as a lawyer has aided my abilities as a parent and husband in learning how to serve others.  I have served as a Public Defender since finishing law school.  This job has taught me so much and I am currently working on my first murder case.  I also teach as a professor at UNC Charlotte. 

Overall, I have seen the need to prevent young folks from becoming my clients and to direct them into becoming my students.  As a result, I have raised over a "million dollars worth" in dollars, in volunteering or in services for different organizations and events that serve young black men/boys. (i.e. hi-tech free after school programs; entrepreneur classes and microloans for black men with records; and several others that deal with developing our youth.)
My career choices have been a sacrifice to our family financially, etc. but so much value has resulted.  We are a strong family.  With vision, with patience, and with God we are still happily married while fulfilling the passions of our hearts!  We are stronger today than we were 10 years ago.

Biggest Life Lessons
  1. Don't sweat the unGodly stuff.
  2. Stay focused on God and our purpose.
  3. Love other people.  (You don't have to like everyone, but share the love of Christ with them even if that means from a distance without fighting.)
  4. Remember Who loves you and those who truly support you! 
  5. Smile.
We smile at you as we celebrate this milestone.. . . and stay tuned for what's next!
Toussaint C. Romain, Esq.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -  Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment: